For single moms who have already been hurt a time or two, the idea of dating again can be scary.
It’s not a decision to be taken lightly, and there are many things to consider. This is a HUGE life-changer, and one that could have very bad consequences for you and your kids if you don’t choose wisely.
If you have met someone who you think might be a good husband and father to your children, take your time and get to know him well.
(This post contains affiliate links.)
See if you can answer these 30 questions about your potential boyfriend (and your children’s new dad!) BEFORE you get emotionally attached.
A man’s character governs his patterns of behavior, his temperament, and emotion. So these are the most important questions to consider:
- Is he dependable and reliable?
- Is he loyal?
- Is he honest and trustworthy?
- Is he a hard-worker?
- How does he handle stress?
- What are his religious beliefs?
- What are his moral values?
- Does he lose his temper, or keep his cool?
- Is he jealous?
- What are his quirks?
- How does he treat his mother?
- Does he have close friends?
- What kind of friends does he have?
- What kind of reputation does he have?
- Is he afraid of anything? If so, what?
- What are his goals?
- Is he a good communicator?
His Likes and Dislikes:
Are your hobbies and passions similar to his? Can you handle his bad habits?
Ask yourself these questions:
- What does he like to do for fun?
- What are his passions?
- What is his favorite past-time?
- What are his good habits?
- What are his bad habits?
- What are his pet peeves?
His Parenting Skills:
If he is going to be involved in raising your children, make sure you know his parenting style, and whether or not you are in sync with it.
Questions to think carefully about:
- What is his view of discipline?
- If he has an ex-spouse, does he get along with her?
- If he has kids, does he make sure they treat her with respect?
- If he has children, does he spend time with them?
- Does he play with them?
- Does he have patience with them?
- Does he build up their confidence and self-esteem?
Before you get too deep into any relationship, know yourself and what you want. Then learn all that you can about him. And if you like the answers you find to the questions above, well, you’ll know what to do after that.
Here are some great books I found about being a single mom:
My Amazon Picks for Single Moms:
Any suggestions, based on your experience, for getting to know a potential boyfriend? We’d love to hear it! Comment below.